Sunday, November 28, 2010

vb state of mind



7 lbs. gained, work ethic diminished, and renewed enthusiasm for college life all from one week at home for thanksgiving break.

The break started off slow until some old friends came back to the oceanfront. I got to hang out with two of my best friends, both in very different parts of their lives' paths. one of which just graduated college and is living at home working as a salesperson at a new store in Virginia Beach. I love hanging out with him but he definitely helps me appreciate the lack of responsibility I have while being a full-time student.
The other is a third year college student, like myself, and she helps me appreciate what we have at home, the beach, friends, family, a life.

The week break was overall pleasant but only rendered me with a couple memorable times.

One evening I decided to break away from my 17th spider solitaire game and take some time in silence to think in one of my most sacred places. I walked out to our gazebo on a rare, extremely warm evening, the sun barely set, and accompanied by only the wind and our two dogs. The summer-like November night helped me feel God's presence, it helped my mood and hopes for the future. An ambiance of dangling christmas lights, trees rustling from soft breezes, surfboards lying on wood panels, crickets and the occasional wind chime bellowing, I can't describe perfectly the setting. The warm air's anticipations for a summer evening combined with the fall's eagerness for the holiday season. Just a couple nights before the seats were filled with friends reuniting and drinking beer while enjoying laughs and good music. Now delicious silence replaced the story-telling young adults. The picture quality isn't stellar on this website but here's a glimpse..




and my company for the evening..



The other more memorable night led me into a dream. I walked through a door into laser and disco lights and smoke from a fog machine that lingered with the taste of cheap beer and the aroma of stale cigarettes, then sat on a worn, stained couch cluttered with jackets and dog hair and finally indulged in the sweet sounds of the combination of three 20-somethings' jam bands. four microphones, three guitars (one a bass), two sets of drums, and one freeing feeling and encouraging vibe that seduced me to just let go. I swam in the music and couldn't think or worry about a single thing other than how bad i wish i had my camera but all the while knowing it could not possibly do the scene justice. Corona and Heineken bottles scattered across the room, mostly empty, on top of amps, next to headphones, and in callused hands under nodding heads.

The next morning, 4 of us went to the greatest place in Virginia Beach. The Belvedere. The outside is completely unassuming, but inside reveals a small bar, 5 or 6 booths, divine breakfast decadence, and familiar faces to pour your coffee and tell you to seat yourself behind the "Please Wait To Be Seated" sign.

My brother and his girlfriend..

The view (behind the festive windowsill pumpkin)

Best cup of coffee in the 757


My breakfast date and I...

and a couple from the ride home...




and for the song i'll share one of my favorites from Kid Cudi's new album...



No comments:

Post a Comment