Sunday, July 18, 2010

114th to Perry


best way to end a fabulous weekend? dinner and gelato with a friend and a solo evening walk to clear your head, see new street corners and mentally prepare yourself for the week ahead.

Camera and Ipod in tow, I casually strolled down Manhattan's west side and continually found myself fatefully walking in and out of romantic 6th avenue scenes. A woman watering the flowers on her terrace, the moonlight flirting with the city's Sunday evening crowd, and couples dipping into a shared cup of ice cream.



I finally made it to the Met today...breathtaking. I wanted to see the American Woman: Fashioning a National Identity exhibit which led me through the decades of American women's fashion and finally ended with a picture and video collage playing at the end that made me want to grab my red white and blue, show off my blonde locks and blue eyes and strut down the streets of New York listening to my american pop as my innate desire to be anything exotic vanished with yesterday's self-consciousness.

I also stumbled across the art of David Hockney in which I completely lost myself and the city around me in. particularly in his 'Caribbean Tea Time" folding screen.
This weekend's preceding events included 2 seats at citifield, 2 cupholders with a steady inflow of Miller light, and 2 amazing bands which comprised one of the most unforgettable concerts, and evenings for that matter. dave matthews and zac brown shared their talents with thousands of their fans on friday night. the scene looking down from section 522 will continue to amaze and intrigue me..being among the thousands of people who paid hundreds of dollars for an experience. those thousands of people mesmerized and hanging on to every note, every lyric coming from one man and his guitar, center stage. One of the best experiences of my life.

The next night, Dave serenaded again, this time from the speakers surrounding my dorm room. As he whispered the sweet sounds of Satellite while i showered, colored in my eyelids and powdered on my blush to get ready for my early birthday dinner, I indulged in a reminiscence of one of my most prominent memories of my parents, pre-divorce. I'm sitting at the kitchen bar with my younger brother and older sister, dining on chicken nuggets and mac n' cheese circa 1995, as my mom curled her lashes and spritzed her favorite perfume and my dad straightening his tie for date night. Satellite, Crash, and Two Step provided the soundtrack for the last half hour before our babysitter arrived.

15 years later, it's now my date night. we catch a cab to Perry st. and sit across from the hudson as i'm spoiled with a chardonnay, delicious three course meal and a little teal box, Tiffany & Co. inside, a perfect fitting, thick banded, concave ring. We followed dinner up with a stroll towards a lit up city sky line and twinkling lights along the hudson with the moon directing the whole scene.


Now, I'm commencing my last three weeks of my internship and I'm moving into the store from the web office. I'm thrilled to meet the Balenciaga and Stella McCartney wearing shoppers and see more of how this world I'm in is run.

Hope you have a wonderful week, i'll end with my favorite song played at Dave's concert this weekend..


1 comment:

  1. You are sooooo cool! See you in a couple of weeks! Love you :-)

    ReplyDelete